Published: 05/05/2021A new found love for the outdoors has put a premium price on properties with gardens, including those that are positioned close to parks and communal green spaces.
One of the positives to come out of the lockdown was the focus on nature and the great outdoors. Spending so much time at home meant that we looked at making the most of our own garden. Many homeowners designed alfresco dining areas, extending their living space into the garden.
Gardening became therapy, our happy place! We landscaped, we dug and planted vegetable patches, we painted our garden fences, we built patios and decking, installed exterior lighting, pizza ovens, fire pits, we invested in our gardens and made the most of any sunshine during a difficult time.
Anyone already living or moving to South West London, is exceptionally fortunate that Merton is considered one of London’s greenest boroughs, with Wimbledon Common, Cannizaro Park, Wimbledon Park, South Park Gardens, Cannon Hill Common, Morden Hall Park and Mitcham Common to name a few of our local green spaces.
Never has garden space been more valued. One of the leading driving forces for moving in the last twelve months has been for outdoor space, a larger garden or to be nearer a park or common.
Combined with the surge in puppy ownership across the UK during the pandemic, outdoor space has become an essential consideration when moving.
Key garden trends for 2021
- Outdoor entertaining - pizza ovens and alfresco dining.
- Interior decor outdoors - sofas, rugs, and cushions, dressing patios in the same way as your living room.
- Balcony gardens - transform a tiny space into a mini horticultural haven.
- Wild gardens - planting wild flower seeds and encouraging wildlife and bird spotting.
- Garden zoning - chillout area, play area, entertaining space.